Tuesday, August 10, 2010

My Houseplants

I love houseplants. It's my office way of gardening from my computer. :) Every Monday I go through the office and water all the houseplants. Most are mine, but I water them all regardless of the owner. I always use Miracle-Gro Liquid Houseplant Food each time I water:
Miracle-Gro Liquid Houseplant Food

Let me introduce you to some of my plants. These are African Violets. They don't need watered every week. I only water them when they feel dry to touch. One or the other of them are in flower almost all year long:
African Violets in Bloom

This is a start that came of the blue purple one. It hasn't flowered yet. I gave it to my co worker who potted it up most tastefully in this vanity light glass. African Violets don't like to be in large pots, so she'll never have to re-pot it:
African Violet Start

This is a Dragon's Blood tree. I like to call it a "Hairy Tree." :) This plant only needs watered about every other week or so:
Dragon's Blood or Hairy Tree

This is a Cat Palm. It's in water. I just keep it filled with water and it just grows beautifully. It doesn't really care if it has direct sunlight or not:
Cat Palm

Somehow I always manage to run that one over when I water:
Cat Palm Run Over

This is a coffee tree. Coffee trees are really easy to care for. They don't mind fluorescent lighting and just want watered once a week. I've had this one for about 4 years. It was my first houseplant:
Coffee Tree Houseplant

I usually just pour water in until it looks good. The soil this is in takes a minute to absorb the water. Yes, that's a can of instant coffee there for looks. I don't drink coffee, but it was given to me because it's labeled in Spanish and I'm studying Spanish. :)
Watering the Coffee Tree

This is an Autumn Croton. Crotons are notoriously hard to grow houseplants because they detest change. I haven't had a lot of problems with this one, but I haven't changed its environment or care even in the slightest since I first got it. It did have 3 separate plants when I first got it and one of them died. You can't really tell by looking though:
Autumn Croton

This is a bamboo. They call them "Lucky" bamboo when they're twisted like that. All I do to this plant is keep the water full. It's not picky at all:
Lucky Bamboo

That better be all for today. I have a lot of plants. I'll keep posting pictures of my houseplants for the next few days until you've seen all of them, so check back tomorrow for some more beautiful plant pictures! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails